CATALOG AVAILABLE NOW
888 Auctions catalog consists of 402 lots up for auction:
Paintings and Textiles: Lot 1-54
Money: Lot 55-222
Snuff Bottles: Lot 223-232
Stone: Lot 233-253
Nephrite: Lot 254-271
Jadeite: Lot 272-284
Jewellery, Gems, Watches and Medals: Lot 285-329
Metalware: Lot 330-358
Wood: Lot 359-373
Ceramics: Lot 374-398
Furniture and Miscellaneous: Lot 399-402
Monday, January 29: 11AM-6PM
Tuesday, January 30: 11AM-6PM
Wednesday, January 31: 11AM-6PM
Thursday, February 01: 11AM-1PM
- Lot 110: 718-732 China Tang Kaiyuan 1 Cash Hartill-14.3 Lot 110: 718-732 China Tang Kaiyuan 1 Cash Hartill-14.3
- Lot 140: 1902-1905 China Qing Guangxu 10 Cash Hupeh Mint Lot 140: 1902-1905 China Qing Guangxu 10 Cash Hupeh Mint
- Lot 202: 1895-1907 China Guangxu 1 Dollar Coin PCGS Graded Lot 202: 1895-1907 China Guangxu 1 Dollar Coin PCGS Graded
- Lot 203: 1908 China Qing Guangxu 1 Dollar Silver NGC Graded Lot 203: 1908 China Qing Guangxu 1 Dollar Silver NGC Graded
- Lot 36: Fu Baoshi 1904-1965 Chinese Watercolour Lanscape Lot 36: Fu Baoshi 1904-1965 Chinese Watercolour Lanscape
- Lot 373: Ming Period Wood Carved Chinese Guanyin Figure Lot 373: Ming Period Wood Carved Chinese Guanyin Figure
- Lot 40: Late 18th Century Watercolor on Silk Peaches Lot 40: Late 18th Century Watercolor on Silk Peaches
- Lot 46: Leopold Survage (French 1879-1968) Pastel on Paper Lot 46: Leopold Survage (French 1879-1968) Pastel on Paper
- Lot 47: Pablo Picasso 1881-1973) Watercolor Portrait Lot 47: Pablo Picasso 1881-1973) Watercolor Portrait
- Lot 66: 1723-1735 China Qing Yongzheng 1 Cash Jiangsu Mint Lot 66: 1723-1735 China Qing Yongzheng 1 Cash Jiangsu Mint
- Lot 89: 1039-1054 China Song Huangsong Tongbao 1 Cash Lot 89: 1039-1054 China Song Huangsong Tongbao 1 Cash
- Lot 90: 1628-1644 China Ming Chongzhen 10 Cash Flower Coin Lot 90: 1628-1644 China Ming Chongzhen 10 Cash Flower Coin
- Lot 99: 1208 China Song Jiading 1 Cash Hartill-17.539 Lot 99: 1208 China Song Jiading 1 Cash Hartill-17.539
- Ceramics Ceramics
Chinese Numismatics, Modern Art and Asian Antiques Featured Lots at February 1 Auction
Richmond Hill, ON – February 1 marks the second auction of the year but first auction to heavily feature what has become a staple at 888 Auctions: Chinese numismatics. After a successful auction in which a Zhang Daqian painting realized a strong $31,720, the second auction of 2018 will be showcasing ancient Chinese bronze cash coins, 10 cash copper provincial coins, and silver dragon dollars from the early 20th Century. Bidders will be excited to see an offering of 402 fresh-to-market items being brought to the auction floor.
The beginning of the auction will feature 888 Auctions’ staple offerings of Chinese watercolour and ink paintings as well as a few select modern art pieces. Lot 36 headlines the category of paintings: a Fu Baoshi featuring a landscape scene is expected to surpass its high estimate of $12,000.
Following closely on its heel is Lot 40, a late 18th Century Watercolor on Silk Peaches. Painted in the style of the Song Dynasty court artists, this painting features an immaculately detailed watercolour painting of peaches hanging delicately off of branches. Carrying an interesting provenance that highlights the modern dynamics of transnational immigration trends in the mid-20th century, lot 40 was originally acquired from a Japanese collector in the 1970s and then sold to a private Japanese art collector residing in the affluent Forest Hill neighbourhood in Toronto. Unbeknownst to his relatives, this piece was identified by the specialists of 888 Auctions as a late 18th Century Qing example of a Song-style watercolour painting and is now being auctioned off to the highest bidder and features a high estimate of $2,000.
Modern fine art continues to make a comeback at 888 Auctions and three lots are currently generating considerable interest on the gallery floor and on the phone lines. These fine pieces can be found at the following lots:
Genuine ancient Chinese coins at 888 Auctions remain a popular category for the Canadian auction house and many coins of extra fine quality can be found for a pretty penny. Whether bidders are interested in 1 cash bronze coins or silver dragon dollars and anything in between, collectors should consider the breadth of quality in the February 1 sale. Catalogued, identified, and authenticated by our specialists, ancient Chinese numismatics can be found at the following lots:
Although ancient Chinese coins are becoming a rarity, for collectors looking for graded coins, Chinese Silver Dragon dollars are also there for the taking during the auction. There are five graded coins, either graded by two of the most recognized coin grading companies in the world, NGC or PCGS and these coins can be found between Lot 202 and Lot 206.
From the offering of Asian antiques, collectors will be able to find quality pieces boasting provenance from collectors that come from all over North America. Four pieces have been drawing interest from many parties and these lots can be found at the following lots:
For auction previews, visit the gallery floor at 888 Auctions. The public viewing period is as follows: Monday, January 29 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Tuesday, January 30 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Wednesday, January 31 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and just before the auction on Thursday, February 1 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
888 Auctions continues to accept consignments on a rolling basis. With bi-monthly auctions taking place at the auction house, there are plenty of opportunities to sell rare and fresh-to-market items at 888 Auctions. Valuations and authentications of priceless items are complimentary with no obligations to consign. The next scheduled auction featuring modern and contemporary art takes place Thursday, February 15 2018 at 2:00 p.m. (EDT). The deadline to consign for this auction is Friday, February 26, 2018.